Once you have registered any Beacon to your account in the Halo app, you can set it to 'Keep Away' or 'Ignore Fences', depending on what you would like to accomplish with that Beacon.
The Keep Away setting is the 'original' Halo Beacon functionality. It can be used to keep your dog out of unwanted or unsafe areas by simulating the presence of a Halo Fence boundary.
A Keep Away Beacon applies a Prevention Feedback prompt to your pet when they move into the beacon's radius. You can use the Halo app to customize the Prevention Feedback your pet receives, as well as the size of the beacon radius.
The Beacon radius is spherical, not flat, which means that if you set your Beacon's radius to a high setting, it is possible for your dog to trigger Beacon Feedback when they are on another floor in your house. Keep this in mind when setting your radius.
Possible ways to use a Keep Away Beacon:
- Place it in an area of your house that you want to keep your dog out of, such as your kitchen, office, or near the front door.
- Place it in an area of your yard that you would like your dog to stay away from, such as near a pool or a flower bed.
With the Ignore Fences setting, you can use your Beacon to create a portable ‘Safe’ zone where your pup won’t receive Fence feedback while it is in range - regardless of whether its pet pin is inside or outside of a Halo Fence.
Possible ways to use an Ignore Fences Beacon:
- Bring it when you take your dog for a walk by clipping it to your dog’s leash; this way, their Fences can remain ‘On’, but they won’t receive any preventions while they remain near their leash. This will also teach your dog that they can safely leave their Fence area as long as they are on a leash.
- Put one in your car’s keychain or cup holder to ensure your dog will not receive a prevention if you forget to turn fences off when you take them for a drive.
- In the unlikely event that you have an area on your property where your pup receives ‘false’ Fence feedback (their pet pin shows them outside of your fence), you can put an Ignore Fences Beacon in that area to stop those preventions. This can occur for some customers along a wall of your house, in the garage, or under a covered outdoor space.
To select your Beacon's mode:
- Open the Halo app
- Tap Settings -> My Beacons
- Tap the name of the Beacon you want to edit
- Select Type
- Tap Keep Away or Ignore Fences
You can change each Beacon's mode as many times as you'd like using these steps.