If your dog's Pet Pin does not move at all no matter where the collar goes, but your Pet Card shows the collar getting continuous/new data, your may have an issue with your collar's GPS component.
To repair this issue yourself, please follow the steps below to upgrade your Halo's GPS firmware and fix the problem.
This update is only for Halo 1 and Halo 2 collars. Do not attempt the update on a Halo 2+.
You will need:
- Your Halo Collar
- The charging cable that came with your Halo Collar, or other USB-C cable.
- A computer (PC or Mac) - with the ability to plug your Halo Collar in via the USB-C cable (some computers require an adapter)
- Please download the Zip File indicated below into an easily-accessible location, like your Desktop or downloads folder (click here to access it for download). Use the download button of your browser to download the Zip File.
- NOTE: Do not click on the file directly, because it may extract directly instead of as a “zipped” folder.
- The file name to download is gps_fw.zip
Steps to complete:
- Connect the collar to your computer with the USB-C cable
- Open your “File Explorer" (Windows) or “Finder App” (Mac) on your computer. Note that there should be a variety of folders on the leftmost side.
- Make sure your collar is resting, with the USB port facing up (as in, the collar is upside-down)
- Long-press the power button on your Halo Collar (about 5 seconds), until your collar vibrates twice, and the Halo Logo light flashes RED a few times. Your Halo Collar is now in “low-power mode”, meaning that the core functionality is paused and the collar is ready to accept a firmware update.
- You should now see the collar appear as a “drive” in your File Explorer or Finder App (likely D: or E: on a PC or “noname” on a Mac) as a USB drive. Double-click on the drive to open it. Inside, you will see folders named “log” and “config”. You may also see a folder named “fw”, but do not worry if it does--or does not--appear. It should look similar to the below (with or without "fw" already there):
- Next, navigate to the location where you saved your “zipped” folder, named “gps_fw.zip”. It most likely downloaded straight to your “Downloads” folder. Right-click on the file, and select “Extract Here”, or “Extract To”. This will “un-zip” the folder so that you can open it.
- Inside of your newly-unzipped folder, you will see a folder "fw". Inside there will be two files. Leave these files in the folder.
- Select "copy" to copy the new “fw” folder from your computer then navigate back to the Halo Collar’s “drive” (note to remember: you’ve already learned that this could be called “D:”, “E:”, or “noname”).
- Paste the “fw” folder that you copied into the Halo Collar’s drive. Do not open the pre-existing “fw” folder to paste the new one inside of it. Just open the “drive”, and right-click to select “paste”. This should be done at the “Root” level (top level).
- You may be asked if you would like to overwrite the existing “fw” folder. If the “fw” folder was already there, it is ok to overwrite it.
- You should now see the new “fw” folder, along with “log” and “config”on the Collar drive.
It should now look similar to this:
Once you have copied the files to the \FW folder, turn the collar on with a short press of the power button (about 1 second). The upgrade will begin within about 5 seconds, indicated by the battery light blinking Red. The upgrade will take 3-4 minutes to complete.
Once the upgrade is complete, the battery light will either change to solid Green (meaning the battery is fully-charged) or blinking Green (meaning your battery is still charging).
Now, you need to start the collar one more time to finish the upgrade. Unplug the cable and turn the collar on with a short-press of the power button (1 second).
Your GPS chip upgrade is now complete! Your GPS should function normally now. If it does not, please go to the virtual Halo Dog Park for live, face-to-face support.
You can get to the Halo Dog Park via www.halocollar.com/dogpark, or via the Halo App under Settings > Live Support.
Thanks for your patience!