Topics covered in this article:
- How does the firmware on the collar updated?
- How do I update the collar's firmware over the air / wirelessly / automatically?
- Where can I verify the firmware version in the Halo App?
- Why is my collar blinking red while on the charger?
We are always working to improve the effectiveness of the Halo Collar. From time to time, the Halo team will release and deploy new software for your Halo collar. The Halo Collar's firmware (the software that operates the collar itself) will automatically update if the collar is connected to WiFi and the collar is charging. You may notice the firmware version appears 'Out of Date' on the Halo app Collar list when this is occurring. There are two steps to the process:
- Downloading the software - when your collar is out of date, this happens automatically as necessary while the collar is connected to WiFi and charging. The Halo App will send you downloads when the download begins. You will not know this is happening and may continue using the collar as desired. If you do use the collar in the middle of a download, the process will automatically pause until the next time it is plugged in and on WiFi.
- Installing the software - this happens automatically upon completion of the download. During the automated install process, the Halo Collar battery light will blink red for as few as 30 seconds and up to 10 minutes. It is recommended that you do not unplug the collar from charging while this is happening. This is the only reason you will see the Halo collar blink red while on the charger.
Once both of these steps are complete, the battery indicator on the Halo Collar will resume blinking green or go to solid green, indicating the upgrade is complete and that the collar is charging again. You will also receive a notification via the Halo App, and the firmware status will display "Up to Date" on the Halo app Collar list.
After your collar finishes updating, you should take it outside to allow it to re-acclimate to the GPS signal. Do this until the GPS light starts flashing blue. This may take up to 20 minutes, but will often only require a few minutes.
To check what version of the firmware is on your collar:
- After logging into the Halo App, click on Settings.
- From the Setting screen, click Collars.
- Click the down arrow to see the collar details.
- The firmware version information is located in the Collar Update section.