Most customers DO NOT need to perform the custom indoor/outdoor configuration described in this article. This process is only for customers who consistently notice that their collar is reporting indoor and outdoor positions incorrectly (i.e. the Pet Card says "Outdoor GPS" when the collar is indoors, or it says "Indoor GPS" when the collar is outdoors). If this does not apply to you, then your collar's indoor/outdoor settings are working properly and you do not need to perform this configuration. If this does apply to you, then you may read on for instructions on custom indoor/outdoor configuration.
- The Halo Collar uses a patent-pending algorithm to automatically disable Prevention Feedback and inaccurate Pet Pin positioning while Indoors. Each Halo is pre-configured with settings that should work for most users. However, if you need to change your settings, you may follow these instructions.
- This article demonstrates how to fine-tune the Halo Collar's indoor/outdoor sensor for your specific property.
- Halo Collar
- The custom-configuration process will take a few minutes and requires continuous user participation. Please follow the instructions closely. If any step is not completed on time, your Halo will end the process on its own (without any button presses) and will beep/vibrate twice.
- You can cancel the process at any time by pressing the ON button twice (collar will beep/vibrate twice in response). Make sure to keep the Halo Collar moving throughout the process (a slight bounce in your hand as you walk is fine).
- Sometimes, following an upgrade, the collar will need time outdoors to re-calibrate its GPS accuracy. If this is the case, you will receive an in-app notification to calibrate your collar to GPS signals. Make sure you have given your Halo time to calibrate after an upgrade (which may take several seconds or as much as 15 minutes) before running this procedure. See this article for details: https://support.halocollar.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003753782-How-to-optimize-GPS-accuracy
- Note that the Halo LEDs will behave differently during indoor/outdoor configuration than during normal use
Important note: This process should always be performed with the Halo Collar in your hand (held by the strap), with the Halo Logo in the upright position. Do not run this configuration process with your Halo on your dog.
Tip: Pull up this article in your Halo App by clicking Settings>Help, then typing "custom-configure" in the search bar and clicking this article. You can follow along with these instructions on your phone as you perform the custom-configuration.
1. Plug Halo into power, then press the ON button three times within two seconds to begin the process.
2. Unplug Halo from power to continue. The collar will beep once, then the GPS LED will blink Red 1 sec on/1 sec off.
3. Walk around for 1 minute indoors; make sure that Halo is moving while you walk. Logo LED should long blink White while moving, and short blink White while idle. When you are done, the logo LED will start to blink Pink and beep every second.
4. Now walk outside to an area with an unobstructed view of the sky and wait for the Halo logo to turn Blue; then head to an outdoor location that your dog likes to go to, and press the ON button to start 'Outdoor Configuration'. The collar should stop beeping.
5. Now walk around outdoors for 2 minutes in places that your dog likes to go. The logo LED should short blink Blue while idle and long blink Blue while in motion. After 2 minutes of motion (indicated by long Blue blinks), Outdoor configuration will be completed, and the collar will once again start beeping and vibrating every second and the logo LED will blink Pink.
6. Now go back inside and wait for the logo LED to turn White. Head to a place your dog likes to go indoors, and then press the ON button to start 'Indoor Configuration'. The collar will stop beeping.
7. Now walk around indoors for 2 minutes in places that your dog likes to go. Make sure the collar stays in motion (indicated by long White blinks).
8. After two minutes of movement, your final Indoor/Outdoor settings will be saved, and your Halo will emit a long beep and vibration. Congratulations! Your Halo Collar's indoor/outdoor sensor is now fine-tuned for optimal performance on your property. The GPS LED will switch to its normal behavior.
Once properly configured, feel free to test your Halo Collar's new settings - but keep in mind that the settings are optimized for when your Halo is on your dog - not held in your hand. As you test it, you will observe the Logo LED blink Blue when going outdoors, Pink in 'Hybrid GPS' mode, and White when going indoors. You can also see the GPS status on the Pet Card in your Halo App.
If you are not satisfied with the performance of your new settings, you can run the process over again at any time. You can also manually toggle Fences On/Off when your dog goes outdoors or indoors.
To revert back to default indoor/outdoor settings:
If you want to revert your Halo collar to its default Indoor/Outdoor settings, run through steps 1 (triple press while plugged in) and step 2 (unplug the collar from power) - and then Cancel the Configuration (double-press the ON button) within the first 4-5 seconds after unplugging. The indoor/outdoor settings will revert back to their default state.
- If you want to test the results of your new configuration, please keep in mind that the configuration is optimized for when the collar is being worn by your dog. If you test by hand, the results are more likely to indicate 'Outdoor' mode than when worn by your dog.
- Although most customers will see an immediate improvement in their indoor/outdoor detection following this procedure, you can perform this procedure as many times as necessary if you are not satisfied with the results.
- Customer should only do this if their outdoor GPS accuracy is good, but indoor/outdoor auto-detection is not working
- Often, following upgrades, the collar needs time outdoors to re-calibrate its GPS accuracy; Make sure you have given your Halo time to calibrate after an upgrade (which may take several seconds to as many as 15 minutes) before running this procedure. See this article for details: https://support.halocollar.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003753782-How-to-optimize-GPS-accuracy
- Halo LEDs will behave differently during indoor/outdoor configuration than during normal use